Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lime Cake Pops

People at work keep requesting Mint cake pops and a couple of people specifically suggested Mint cake pops for St. Patrick's Day.  It seems Mint has a stigma attached to St. Patrick's Day due to the Shamrock Shake.  I, personally, don't like Mint very much because I think it triggers heartburn.

Anyway, I decided to shake things up this year and make Lime Cake Pops.  I have been making cake pops for about 2 months and these rank up there as one of my favorites!

There were two tricks to making these work.

Trick #1: Lime Jello Mix


Trick #2: Lemon Cake mix instead of Vanilla cake mix









Here's the breakdown:
  • 1 box Betty Crocker Lemon cake mix
  • 2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil (Disregard the 1/3 cup on the instructions)
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1 3oz packet of Lime Jello mix
  • 5 tbsp. Lime Juice
  • 1 cup water (Disregard the 1 1/3 cup on the instructions)
  • About 10 drops Green food coloring
  • Lemon frosting
Bake the cake in a 13x9 pan.  Bake per the instructions on the box.  Cool the cake.  Crumb your cake. I find that Betty Crocker cake mixes come out SUPER moist, so there might not be a need for any frosting in the mixture.  I wound up using about 1 tablespoon of frosting but I probably should have started out with only one teaspoon.  Any leftover frosting stays good in the fridge for about 1 month.

The batch yielded about 52 uniform cake balls.  I dipped them in Make N Mold light and dark green candy coating and sprinkled with seasonal Shamrock sprinkles.

These look marvelous and they really do taste like Lime!





Next Week: Cherry Cordial Cake Pops!

No comments:

Post a Comment